Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Just what is this Bipolar you speak of?

Bipolar Disorder is a brain disorder that can cause dramatically unusual shifts in mood, activity levels, and the ability to carry out day to day tasks. Everyone has ups and downs but bipolar symptoms often result in damaged relationships, poor performance and even suicide. But, before anyone freaks out, BIPOLAR CAN BE TREATED AND PEOPLE WITH THIS ILLNESS CAN LEAD FULL AND PRODUCTIVE LIVES!!!

It often developed in teens or early adulthood. Although I was diagnosed at 29, I can pinpoint manic episodes throughout my life. I am sure my roommates can too. I always thought it was great I could stay out with my friends all night, do my homework and then go to school with no sleep. Um, not normal Leesa. Bipolar is hard to diagnose. I don't get the depressive lows like I get the manic highs. It may sound fabulous to be "up" all the time but to have your brain NEVER shut off is a terrible experience.

*National Institute of Mental Health

No comments: